Additional Information for International Students

GPA for international students with a different grade system

Please use the following GPA calculator to determine your GPA if your degree-granting institution uses a grade/point system different from the one used in the U.S. To assist the Admissions Committee, you can list your converted GPA on your CV and the online application. Graduate Admissions confirms GPA estimates using this same GPA calculator. 

English language requirements

The University of Kansas requires proof of English proficiency for all international students and domestic non-native English speakers. These requirements cannot be waived under any circumstances. The minimum required scores are determined by the Graduate School and may be found here.

In addition, the Board of Regents policy on spoken English competency for graduate teaching assistants requires that English non-native speakers demonstrate English proficiency by obtaining a minimum score of 50 on the SPEAK or TSE, a 22 on the speaking portion of the TOEFL, or an 8 on the IELTS.

TOEFL scores should be sent by ETS using KU's institution code 6871. IELTS should be sent to KU via the e-delivery service.


Once we have your completed (satisfactory) application, including your TOEFL or IELTS scores, and a recommendation for admission as student is made, the department will determine whether we can also offer you a GTA position. If so, the University will then mail you a letter confirming your admission to graduate study, and the Mathematics Department will send you separately an I-20 (immigration) form confirming your GTA appointment and your ability to support yourself financially in the United States.

If the Mathematics Department cannot offer you a GTA position, and you still want to come, you must provide proof (in the form of certified bank statements) of your ability to support yourself financially for a full year in order to obtain an I-20 form.

Once you receive your I-20, contact the nearest US Embassy or Consulate to apply for the visa and to arrange an interview. In most cases, you will be granted an F-1 visa at the interview. If something goes wrong, get in touch with us immediately and we will try to help.

The University of Kansas does not have any restrictions on the number of students who can be admitted from any particular country

Recruitment Event, Nov 2024 via Zoom

KU's International Admissions Requirements

Health insurance, orientation, etc.

International Student Services (ISS) maintains a comprehensive web site that includes information about mandatory health insurance. You will find therein further instructions about the different types of visas and other matters of interest to international students.

International Student Services runs a mandatory orientation session before classes start in the fall. Please see the ISS Orientation page for dates and to register. This is an excellent way to become familiar with how things work in the US.